The Post-War era
After the war, the Lodge returned to normal, but those austerity times meant no more 7 course banquets - indeed, those times had gone for ever.
The 1950s were a great period for the expansion of the phone system, including the introduction of Subscriber Trunk Dialling in 1958. The familiar Bakelite telephones started to give way to more modern plastic models by the end of the decade.
Lodge members continued to be drawn not just from the Post Office, but almost all the major equipment manufacturers. In 1953, Lodge membership was 49 full members and 42 on the country list.
As already noted above, in 1957 the Lodge of Instruction become The Telephone and Hampshire Lodge of Instruction in recognition of the major support from the Hampshire Lodge and its members.
In 1958, the Lodge celebrated its Golden Jubilee, during the mastership of W. Bro Jack Humphreys. A second large album for photographs of the Lodge masters was presented by Bro Rex Thorne and his father 'Bertie' Thorne. Bro Rex had been initiated into Telephone Lodge three years before in 1955 and has been a pillar of the Lodge ever since. He later became Master in 1965 and rose to Grand Rank. In recent years it has been his unstinting work, alongside the Marquess of Northampton, that created the Metropolitan Grand Lodge.
During this time, the Lodge had one of the most eminent of PO Engineers of the era as a member. Captain Charles Booth CBE was Assistant Engineer in Chief of the Post Office and was famous for his achievements in the then new technology of communications satellites. Under his leadership, the Goonhilly Downs Earth Station was built and the successful inauguration of satellite communications took place via Telstar. That first dish-shaped antenna at Goonhilly (known as ‘Arthur’) is now protected as a Grade II Listed Building and a piece of our industrial heritage. W. Bro. Charles Booth was Master in 1959/60.